[E-voting] Irish resolution (draft 1)

Margaret McGaley Margaret.McGaley at redbrick.dcu.ie
Fri Dec 19 10:00:21 GMT 2003

Hi all,

I want to make a resolution similar to
http://www.free-project.org/resolution/
and
http://verifiedvoting.org/resolution.asp
available on our website. Below is the first draft - as usual, please comment.
I also plan to mail copies to each of the university computer science
departments to ask for signatures.

***

Since computers are inherently subject to programming error, equipment
malfunction, and malicious tampering, extreme care must be taken when
computerising safety-critical systems, such as the electoral process.

Therefore; any electronic voting system used in Ireland must include a Voter
Verified Audit Trail (VVAT) and be developed to the very highest standard.

By VVAT we mean that each voter sees a paper ballot containing their vote go
into a ballot box. These paper ballots would be treated with the same care as
in the all-paper system. They would be the official record of votes cast
should any difference arise between paper and electronic records. They would
always be used in recounts and regular spot-checks.

Since the electronic results would be relied upon in the majority of
constituencies, the machines and software must be developed to the highest
standard. Therefore, best practices and formal methods must be used in the
development of the system, and all source code must be made available to
public scrutiny.

***

Margaret

--