[E-voting] today's meeting (18th Dec)

Shane Hogan shane at askaboutmoney.com
Sat Dec 20 00:49:49 GMT 2003

>  After discussion, committee members voted 9-4 to back the introduction
>  of the new electronic voting system next June.

I'm sorry that I couldn't make this week's meeting due to some family
business. Congrats to Robert, Joe & Margaret on a great job in communicating
these very real concerns.

While it may not be much consolation, the reaction of the Govt is in some
ways a compliment to the effectiveness of our campaign so far. It was only
when faced with credible details regarding the many failings of the proposed
system that the Govt reacted by whipping the troops into shape and forcing a
vote at the committee.

I understand that votes at Dail committees are not all that frequent and
they generally try to operate by consensus, but obviously all that went out
the window this week.

Regards - Shane