[E-voting] Irish Times article

Casey, Dermot (GE Consumer Finance) Dermot.Casey at ge.com
Tue Apr 6 10:22:10 IST 2004

I don't know him personally but Annrai O'Toole is CEO of CapeClear Software and one of the original founders of IONA
http://www.capeclear.com/about/people/aotoole.shtml

Brendan Tangney appears to be a Computer Science lecturer in TCD  http://www.cs.tcd.ie/tangney/

Given the participation of some TCD Comp Sci people in the petition anyone know hove Brendan Tangney formed his views

If people want I'll pick up the IT at lunchtime and draft a response from the email below it appears to be weak on a number of points but I'd need to read the original

Points of criticism for anyone to comment on
1. Observable errors can be corrected. What about the unobservable errors, which typically are the major category as readers of the Computer Related Risks mailing list can attest to.
2. Need VVAT to catch the unobservable errors
3. No evidence that manual system is error prone to any significant extent. It does fail in a very secure and safe manner (i.e. just recount)
4. The software for NEDAP is not commercially available - sounds like an attempt at security through obscurity which is not a good approach. Security is much better achieved through peer review and openness

Regards

Dermot