[E-voting] press release draft 2

Fergal Daly fergal at esatclear.ie
Tue Feb 3 09:52:06 GMT 2004

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 08:30:07PM -0000, Shane Hogan wrote:
> I don't think we need to 'run scared' of the costs issue. In fact, our
> recommendation (AFAIK) is not necessarily to implement eVoting with VVAT -
> our recommendation is to implement eVoting with VVAT where it makes good
> sense. To me, the costs of the current system at 36m (without VVAT) to
> implement a system which will require MORE resources to run than the old
> manual system just doesn't make sense.
>
> Scrapping the system is a valid option also.

A pretty good one I think. There are other much cheaper e-ways to do it too
but we can't argue for them on grounds of cost if the 36m is already spent
(do we have a definitive answer on that?).

That just leaves arguing for scrapping which is kind of an odd one if we're
presenting ourselves as _for_ e-voting - which we have been doing,