[E-voting] Morning Ireland

Cosgrave, Mike M.Cosgrave at ucc.ie
Tue Feb 3 10:42:06 GMT 2004

yes, what really annoyed me was that Sean Fleming lied when he insisted that
the software had been independently tested.

A version of the software was tested, and criticised, but the version which
we may be compelled to trust next June has not been independantly tested.
(as far as we know, it may not even be finished yet since it is being
delivered as late as possible)

Since Deputy Fleming chairs the committee in which all of this was
discussed, he knows this, so either he lied or he does not understand the
importance of this distinction.

Gilmore, sadly, was not able to catch this. If the Govt are going to trot
out the 'but it was tested..' then it must be made clear that what was
tested is not the same software that we'll be usign next June.

It would be a positive move at this stage to suggest that the conduct of
elections be moved away from DOELG to a totally independant election
commission whose prime concenr would be runnning the elections, not worrying
about saving face.

Mike