[E-voting] Martin Cullen on News at One

David GLAUDE dglaude at gmx.net
Wed Feb 4 22:23:20 GMT 2004

Aengus Lawlor wrote:

> Environment Minister Martin Cullen defends the system against
> reservations, and acknowledges that votes cannot be spoiled in secrecy
>
> http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0204/newsatone/news1pm4a.smil
>
> You can spoil your vote, but the Minister admits that you can't spoil it
> in secret, that "this is a democracy and we're not going to change the
> system to suit the 1% who want to spoil their vote".
>
> It looks like this would be good grounds for a legal challenge - you are
> legally allowed to spoil your vote, and you are constitutionally allowed
> privacy in your choice to do this.

In Belgium, our legal advisor all told us that constitution (the Belgian
one) does not garantee the right to spoil our vote... as a spoiled vote
is not a valid vote.

> (By the way, my constituency used e-Voting at the last referendum, and I
> did exactly what Minister Cullen described, "signed in", and refused to
> cast a vote. Does anyone know where I can get detailed results from each
> constituency for that vote, to see if my vote was indeed recorded as a
> "spoiled vote"?)

I Belgium we do that every election day...
Come and deposit a letter saying that we don't want to vote via computer.
If you are lucky the letter is attach to the set of document/report that
the president of that voting place must produce.
Those are stored for a few weeks then when the result of the election
are known and validated... all those document get distroyed.

--
Don't let computer expert control election...
Endorse: http://www.free-project.org/resolution/