[E-voting] Joe Duffy (again)

Shane Hogan shane at askaboutmoney.com
Sat Feb 7 13:12:34 GMT 2004

> Striking people off the paper register as they vote is only a security
> precaution, to prevent multiple votes and the like, and has nothing to
> do with the 'total poll' figure.

This is not totally correct. The Dept have manual procedures for the eVoting
system which reconcile the number of people who presented for voting (i.e.
were struck off the register and issued with a token) against the number of
votes cast plus the number of uncompleted votes. The control operator for
the voting machine has a special form for recording the number of
uncompleted votes during the day, and they are supposed to reconcile the
numbers at the end of the day. I have hardcopy samples of this form if
anyone is interested.

So the people in the Dept were certainly very aware of the number of
uncompleted votes, but it took Joe Duffy to get this info out of them.

Regards - Shane