[E-voting] press release?

Fergal Daly fergal at esatclear.ie
Tue Feb 17 16:57:39 GMT 2004

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 04:37:14PM +0000, Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 04:34:12PM +0000, Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
> > http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p108.htm
>
> So basically, they want to fiddle with the system *even more* before
> the election, without adding a paper trail. Unfortunately the offer
> of an "independent panel" will take the punch out of some the
> oppositions moves, I guess we'll need to see the proposal in a lot
> more detail though.

Can we get the release? Any party people got a copy of it yet?

>From RTE:

It has plans for an independent panel to verify the secrecy and accuracy of
the system, the introduction of primary legislation to apply electronic
voting to non-Dáil elections, and more explicit arrangements to allow
abstentions to be registered.

If that's right then we have a nice angle - govt to sets up panel and tells
it what verdict to reach!