[E-voting] Draft press release for later today

Aengus aengusl at eircom.net
Sun Feb 22 21:51:23 GMT 2004

Fergal Daly <fergal at esatclear.ie> wrote:
> Each vote is stored at a particular address in it's storage module.
> This address, combined with the id number of the storage module or
> machine makes a perfectly good key with which to match paper and
> electronic records.

Remember that the one of our strongest arguments is that it is important
that the process be _seen_ to be fair. Any hint that an individual vote
can be matched to anything at all will raise fears about the tracking of
votes. This is one of the things that is causing confusion in the debate
as it stands - people don't understand how you can audit the process
while maintaining secrecy.

So it is extremely important that an individual ballot is NOT matched
with a specific electronic record. It is only important that the total
collection of paper ballots is the same as the total collection of
electronic records. And it is just as fast to compare the complete list
of ballots as it is to compare them one by one.

Aengus