[E-voting] Did PTB review the firmware?

Fergal Daly fergal at esatclear.ie
Wed Feb 25 12:48:47 GMT 2004

On Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 12:22:55PM -0000, Aengus Lawlor wrote:
> In the D?il yesterday, the Taoiseach said that "... PTB, the German
> institute, which undertook a code to review 225,000 lines of embedded
> software in the voting system, examine this system, to critically
> address the absolute correspondence between pressing a preference button
> and registering the appropriate preference in the ballot module".

That quote in itself if just mad. The fact that you have to review 225,000
lines of code to establish a correspondence between pressing a preference
button and storing it is mind boggling.

> Do we know whether PTB did review the code, or did they just do physical
> tests on the lynx system?

The report on the download page has this

--
The software of the voting machine was tested by inspection of the
source codes and of the relevant documentation. Moreover, static

so I guess so, although I couln't see what their conclusions were.

It also has this in the section on the storage module

--
In the event that a discrepancy occurs in the checksums, an error
   message is generated.

   (51)

   This message is shown on the voting machine display and on the Control
   Unit display enabling the presiding officer to take appropriate
   action.
--

What exactly is "appropriate action" when the machine is clearly banjaxed?