[E-voting] mercuri method

Fergal Daly fergal at esatclear.ie
Tue Mar 2 23:13:59 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 02 March 2004 22:55, David GLAUDE wrote:
> Well, the number of voter can be counted and compared to the number of
> papers. In any election you have those 3 steps:
> * Registration
> * Vote
> * Count
>
> So you can compare step 1 and step 3 (whatever whay step 2 was done).

So what happens if you compare step 1 and step 3 and you have 1000 extra
votes, what do you do? This is almost impossible with paper because someone
would have to stamp 1000 extra papers and secretly stuff them in the box.

The best way for the computer to steal the election would be to put 2 ballots
into the box for every voter, one contains the voters vote and the other
contains whatever the computer likes. Most people wouldn't even think twice
if they saw the computer doing a quick print out straight after their own.
They'd probably think it's just part of the "audit trail" those nerds kept
talking about :-)

> This list is about VVAT and adding a printer to a system that was aquire
> without carefull thinking.

> Personally I prefere to advocate for the best solution (no computer
> between me and my vote) rather than to fight for a middle ground
> solution like VVAT.
>
> Nothing against Mercuri, I am sure she will understand. ;-)

I really don't like the Mercuri method any more.

Don't confuse the Mercuri method with VVAT. VVAT is a more general term, the
Mercuri method is just one particular type of VVAT. Hand written ballots that
get counted with the help of a computer is also VVAT,