[E-voting] Sunday Papers & Bertie's comments

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Thu Mar 4 09:55:04 GMT 2004

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 05:41:46AM +0000, Adrian Colley wrote:
> Let's not forget the Russian Mafia and similar orgs, who might just
> think it would be useful to be able to influence a veto at the
> Council of Ministers.  And "single-issue" tampering for referenda --
> would whoever's been shooting at doctors with a rifle baulk at
> bribery to guarantee a result in an abortion referendum?

Lets also not forget the recent coming-to-light of British security
agency bugging at the UN. Whilst this isnt a surprise, it does remind
us that these agencies are specifically charged with assisting the
foreign policy of their native country - and they don't play nice.

It is not at all hard to believe that such an agency might have a vested
interest in Sinn Féin not doing well ... for example.  It's not like
this happened before to an Irish government security-critical IT application.
The communications encryption equipment procured by the government at
one stage was backdoored months before we got it.

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp at stdlib.net