[E-voting] RTE Radio tonight

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Thu Mar 4 12:47:05 GMT 2004

I heard the last portion of the program last night.  The members of NCBI
clearly expressed their annoyance that Powervote reps told them they'd been
working on their system for the last 15 years--yet they didn't look into
the accessibility issue.  More disappointment that NCBI was only asked for
input in the last year and a half, when the gov't had been working on it
for 5 yrs.  Elsewhere (perhaps on this list?  Or on another Audioscope
program) when accessibility was discussed, it was made clear that it is
simple and inexpensive when accessibility features are integrated from the
beginning of a system's design.  But it is much more cumbersome when they
must be added on at the end, as an afterthought.  There are apparently lots
of user-friendly kinds of evoting available elesewhere, e.g., where if you
put on a headset when you touch a button a voice will tell you what the
candidate's name is for that button.

Apparently all the gov't has done in response to feedback from NCBI &
others is to use larger fonts.  (I'm not sure where these fonts
are--wouldn't that be just on the printed form with the candidates'
names?  Or maybe he meant the "cast vote" button?  The gov't rep didn't
clarify.)

There was a gov't rep on the program who is the contact person for any
advice/requests relating to accessibility of the gov't e-voting
system.  His name is Michael Murphy.  His email address is
michael_murphy at environ.ie

Catherine