[E-voting] The VVAT Debate - Technical or Not ?

Patrick O'Beirne mail2 at sysmod.com
Sun Mar 7 23:22:35 GMT 2004

At 22:10 07/03/2004, Dr J Pelan wrote:
>(2) The only way a voter can verify that their vote has been
>     recorded accurately is by observing that recording themselves.

Agreed.

>(2a) This implies that verification has not occurred if the voter
>      is only told what has been recorded, by another human or by device.

However by "device" we also include a printer

>(3) The proposed voting system only permits the voter to verify
>     the recorded vote via a device.

no difference in VVAT then. The point (as I see it) is that the paper trail
remains as a basis for checking either by random sampling or demand
(probably of the losing candidate) and it in turn can only by verified
(apart from versus the electronic record) to the extent that the number of
votes cast equals the paper count of the polling station supervisor against
the voters register.

  Patrick O'Beirne,     Systems Modelling Ltd.
  Gorey, Co. Wexford, Ireland. +353 55 22294
  www.sysmod.com  I.S. management consulting
.