[E-voting] Derek Mooney - FF local election candidate.

John A. Kinsella john.kinsella at ul.ie
Mon Mar 8 09:42:55 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 08:48, Keith Martin wrote:

> For those who haven't seen it yet, there's a letter in today's Indo
> about ICTE:
>
> Pressures of e-voting
> Sir - I see that the Irish Citizens for Trustworthy E-Voting (ICTE)
> have proclaimed at their press conference last Tuesday (March 2) that
> e-voting is a threat to Irish democracy. Really? I tend to believe
> that self-serving, self-appointed pressure groups seeking to thwart
> the legitimate decisions of an elected Government and Dáil by
> misrepresenting the truth and causing confusion are a greater threat
> to democracy.
>
> ICTE advocate a dual-vote counting system: electronic and the current
> manual-paper system. They call for accuracy, yet where disputes arise
> they want the paper system to have primacy, despite such inherent
> flaws as the random selection of surplus transfers and simple human
> error. They want to reject the new, accurate and tested system in
> favour of the older one. Is this is not a Luddite mentality?
>
> Perhaps, in the interests of transparency and democratic
> accountability, they could answer a few questions. Why were they so
> silent when e-voting was test run in the last general election and the
> Nice referendum? Why were they not as vocal when the Government
> clearly signalled its plans to introduce e-voting some time back? How
> are they constituted and are people like me, who believe the proposed
> system is better, welcome to join?
> Derek Mooney,
> Eglinton Wood, Dublin 4

I just Googled on Derek Mooney.

By a remarkable coincidence I found
http://www.stormcentre.net/elections/people/m/mooney_derek.html
which refers to a Derek Mooney who ran (and was eliminated) when running
for FF in the 1999 locals in Crumlin Kimmage.

Don't know if he is running in June.

What's that your saying; the guy should have mentioned his political
affiliation in his letter ... typical leftie nonsense.

I plan to (politely) telephone him and see if he is open to argument...

John

> Keith Martin
> IT & Communications Manager,
> Concern Afghanistan/Pakistan/Tajikistan
> keith.martin at concern.net
> Tel:  +882 168 983 0027 (Thuraya Mobile Satphone)
>         +873 762 498 470 (Afghanistan Office)
>         +92 300 536 0109 (Pakistan Mobile)
>         +92 51 210 0686 (Pakistan Office)
>         +353 87 238 1186 (Irish Mobile & Roaming)

John A. Kinsella		Ph: 	+353-61-202148 		(Direct)
					+353-61-333644 x 2148  	(Switch)
Mathematics Dept.		e-mail: John.Kinsella at ul.ie
University of Limerick		FAX: 	+353-61-334927
IRELAND				Web:    http://jkcray.maths.ul.ie