[E-voting] The VVAT Debate - Technical or Not ?

Dr J Pelan J.Pelan at gatsby.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Mar 8 12:20:49 GMT 2004

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004, Patrick O'Beirne wrote:

> >(2a) This implies that verification has not occurred if the voter
> >      is only told what has been recorded, by another human or by device.
>
> However by "device" we also include a printer

No. The piece of paper that the voter verifies is *the vote*.

There are electronic *copies* of the votes which are used for tallying and
these copies may be accurate or corrupted. The validity of the result is
checked by a statistically valid sampling of the real, paper votes. In the
event of a dispute, the system defaults back to the real, paper votes.

So VVAT clearly passes the requirements outlined in my previous message.

--
John P.