[E-voting] The VVAT Debate - Technical or Not ?

Michael McMahon michaelmcmahon at vodafone.ie
Mon Mar 8 15:11:51 GMT 2004

Margaret McGaley wrote:

>On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 01:16:23PM +0000, Michael McMahon wrote:
>

>>>There are electronic *copies* of the votes which are used for tallying and
>>>these copies may be accurate or corrupted. The validity of the result is
>>>checked by a statistically valid sampling of the real, paper votes. In the
>>>event of a dispute, the system defaults back to the real, paper votes.
>>>

>>Can you explain what you mean by "statistically valid sampling"?
>>

>The real votes are examined in several constituencies. The *number* of
>constituencies is chosen so that it is statistically significant. That is,
>there is an acceptable chance of finding mistakes/fiddles.

But, what is an acceptable chance? A 50% chance means checking 50% of
constituencies, or ballots whatever.
A 90% chance means checking 90% etc. What I am saying is that Chaum can
give you a higher level
of assurance for much less effort (mainly the cost of asking the voters
to do some checking themselves)