[E-voting] Complaint to the Ceann Comhairle

paul.holden at icsmember.ie paul.holden at icsmember.ie
Mon Mar 8 18:21:37 GMT 2004

There are actually three questions that are worth dealing with separately:
1. Is electronic voting a good idea?
2. Is this type of electronic voting system (no paper record) good?
3. Is this particular electronic voting system (Powervote/Nedap) satisfactory?

In theory, you could answer no to all, yes to the first and no to the other
two, or yes to the first two and no to the third, or yes to all three (other
combinations would not be logical).

The participants in this discussion appear to agree that the answer to 2 and 3
should be no, but less certain about the answer to 1. I'm in the 'no' camp on
this one also, mainly because a computerised system, no matter how well
constructed, built, tested and secured is a 'black box' as far as the ordinary
voter is concerned. They would have to accept on trust that the machine was
working -- unless you had paper records and 100% validation, which would make
the whole system redundant.

Paul.