[E-voting] Complaint to the Ceann Comhairle

Margaret McGaley Margaret.McGaley at redbrick.dcu.ie
Mon Mar 8 18:33:22 GMT 2004

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 06:21:37PM +0000, paul.holden at icsmember.ie wrote:
> The participants in this discussion appear to agree that the answer to 2 and 3
> should be no, but less certain about the answer to 1. I'm in the 'no' camp on
> this one also, mainly because a computerised system, no matter how well
> constructed, built, tested and secured is a 'black box' as far as the ordinary
> voter is concerned. They would have to accept on trust that the machine was
> working -- unless you had paper records and 100% validation, which would make
> the whole system redundant.

Paper records and 100% validation don't make the whole system redundant.

What are the advantages of electronic voting? The ones I can see are:
   - faster results (though it's questionable whether that's an advantage)
   - improved access for voters with special needs
   - removal of randomness from PR-STV count

You still get all those advantages with an electronic voting system which
includes VVAT and 100% validation.

Margaret

--
Margaret McGaley