[E-voting] The VVAT Debate - Technical or Not ?

Michael McMahon michaelmcmahon at vodafone.ie
Mon Mar 8 19:36:50 GMT 2004

Opinion-polls are one thing, but you can't take a sample of  individual
ballots from an election, because there is no way to correlate the paper
with the electronic record.

All you could do would be take a sample of  elections at the constituency
level, but the number of constituencies is too small (42 ?) to be
significant..

I'm also sceptical about sampling in general as a technique for finding
errors
and instances of fraud.

Michael.