[E-voting] Voting application; Implementation of VVAT

John Lambe icte-jlambe at johnlambe.com
Mon Mar 8 21:18:33 GMT 2004

Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
>Are there any win32 developers on list willing to write a small app?
>... What I'm think of is a simple interface, just answer yes/no to a
>referendum...
>There would then be implementation A, which at the end of the voting
>process gives you the right result, and application B which gives you
>the inverse result

Good idea.
That occurred to me before (but I didn't get around to doing it) on
hearing Minister Cullen talking about how the voter could know that
his/her vote was recorded correctly (because he/she would see it on the
display).

I've written a Win32 application as you suggested.
It's at http://evoting.jlambe.com/download/vm/ .

It's written in Borland Delphi (Object Pascal), simply because that's
what I usually use for Win32 development.
The difference between the two programs is the removal of the keyword
"not" in one place.

Send me any suggestions for changes.

I might write a web-based version aimed at convincing the members of
the public (but those most easily fooled but Minister Cullen's argument
are probably less likely to use the Internet).

Since opponents of a VVAT have claimed that it is unclear how a VVAT
would work and that there are "serious issues" (Minister Cullen on RTE
Radio 1 on Saturday) around it, I have written a suggestion on how a
VVAT could work in practice:
  [URL]http://evoting.jlambe.com/recommend/vvat.html[/URL]
My suggestion is based on comparing each individual paper ballot to the
electronic votes rather than doing a full manual count.

=====
John Lambe
Phone (mobile): +353 86 2895286
Phone:          +353 1 4905842
Address:        64 Brighton Road, Rathgar, Dublin 6, Ireland
Email:          jlambe at johnlambe.com