[E-voting] [Off Topic] A little voting levity

Dr J Pelan J.Pelan at gatsby.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Mar 9 14:29:48 GMT 2004

A letter from the Saturday (March 6th) edition of "The Times" may
provide a moment of amusement;

 Sir, In my Kentish hamlet we have the ultimate in voting as a social
 occasion (letter, March 3) since the polling station is in the saloon bar
 of the local public house. This has enabled us to achieve the highest
 voter turnouts, in percentage terms, in the district.
   It is alleged that we also usually have the highest number of spoilt
 ballot papers in the country. This rumour is completely untrue, the
 source being rival persons wanting to take over my duties.

 Yours faithfully,

  George Harding
 (Presiding Officer, 1982 to date)
  [address snipped]