[E-voting] Re: vvat page for the site

John Lambe icte-jlambe at johnlambe.com
Wed Mar 10 10:22:15 GMT 2004

>http://www.evoting.cs.may.ie/vvat.shtml
>
>What do you think?

It's very good.

You could include a link to
http://www.free-project.org/resolution/explain.html (The Free Project's
explanation of VVAT with diagrams, though it misses the need to do
random audits).

I'd be inclined to word the end of the first paragraph: "record
something else internally" - non computer-literate people might be
confused by the term "save" (I know I use computing terms all the time
:) ).

"We propose that a printer be added to each voting machine."
I don't know if this is really relevant, but maybe we should emphasise
that the machine already has a printer (to show that the required
change is relatively small) - the printer would just have to be fitted
in a different place in the case, with a window, etc.
I'm not sure how you'd word it so that it isn't too detailed. Maybe
something like "We propose that the machine print paper ballots
(possibly using its existing printer with some modifications).".
( http://64.6.235.151/jlambe/evoting/recommend/vvat.html#Hardware )

=====
John Lambe
Phone (mobile): +353 86 2895286
Phone:          +353 1 4905842
Address:        64 Brighton Road, Rathgar, Dublin 6, Ireland
Email:          jlambe at johnlambe.com