[E-voting] More Parliamentary Questions

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Wed Mar 10 11:49:39 GMT 2004

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 11:20:22AM +0000, Catherine Ansbro wrote:
> I don't understand where the extra time is needed for e-voting. Why would
> pressing buttons take longer than writing on paper? Is the delay caused by
> needing staff to activate the machines for each voter?

No, the problem is that the minister is comparing this process with
putting your ballot in a box. It has always taken longer to select
your preferences in the booth than to drop the piece of paper into
the box itself.

For any particular ballot box, many people could be selecting their
preferences at the same time, and then put them in one by one. With
E-voting, only one person can select their preferences at any given
time :)

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp at stdlib.net