[E-voting] More Parliamentary Questions

Michael McMahon michaelmcmahon at vodafone.ie
Wed Mar 10 11:55:16 GMT 2004

Catherine Ansbro wrote:
> I don't understand where the extra time is needed for e-voting. Why
> would pressing buttons take longer than writing on paper? Is the delay
> caused by needing staff to activate the machines for each voter?

Sure, pressing buttons doesn't take more time than writing
on paper.

The point that the Minister seemed to be making was that
the process of dropping the ballot in the box, is comparable
to making your choices on the voting machine, which is why he
compared the number of ballot boxes with the number of voting
machines.

In the old system you spend much more time writing out your choices
(which is done in the booth) than you do putting the ballot in the box.
There are two separate actions here, which happen to be combined in
the electronic system.

So to avoid queues building up in the electronic system you would
have to provide the same number of electronic machines as booths
(not ballot boxes).

> Catherine

However, this is the kind of issue that the pilots would
have shown to be a problem, so we should be careful about
criticising them on this.