[E-voting] Our friend Derek Mooney

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Wed Mar 10 15:01:32 GMT 2004

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 01:46:02PM +0000, Margaret McGaley wrote:
> Could someone please draft a response and post it to the list? I have
> absolutely no time today, but I think it's vital we respond ASAP.

O.k. a suitably edited, shorter version of my previous response;

Sir,

Citizens for Trustworthy E-voting (ICTE), I would like to answer Mr.
Mooney's questions regarding our group.  Mr. Mooney is fully welcome to
join and partipate in our discussions. Anyone may do so by joining our
open e-mail list available at: http://evoting.cs.may.ie/discussion.shtml.
Members of ICTE have been raising concerns about and asking questions of
E-voting for over 3 years.

I take issue with the statement that ICTE are misrepresenting the truth
about E-voting, ICTE's position has always been that E-Voting is
categorically unsafe and unverifiable without a paper record of our
votes; verified by us as voters.  This position is endorsed by the Irish
Computer Society (the professional body for Irish computer
professionals), the Association for Computing Machinery and, at the last
count, over 200 Irish computer science academics. I can assure Mr.
Mooney that we are not luddites, but that we are experienced computer
professionals fully aware of the risks inherent in any computer-based
system.

ICTE would fully welcome transparency and democratic accountability, and
we invite Mr. Mooney and your readership to ask the simple question; How
will I be sure that my vote has been recorded accurately? Paperless
Electronic Voting affords us no opportunity to verify that for
ourselves; is this transparent and democratically accountable?

				Colm MacCárthaigh
				Irish Citizens for Trustworthy E-voting

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp at stdlib.net