[E-voting] Independent Commission on Alternative Voting Methods

Michael McMahon michaelmcmahon at vodafone.ie
Wed Mar 10 19:42:15 GMT 2004

Dr J Pelan wrote:

>Unfortunately, it doesn't mandate any kind of paper-trail for electronic
>machine voting (presumably because they believe it negates the purpose of
>e-voting).  It does say; "Opportunities for scrutiny would be
>substantially reduced, and there would not be a paper audit trail in the
>traditional sense."
>
>They also recognise the need for a 'none of the above' option.

They also recommend *not* using electronic machine voting in a General
Election
in the UK.  There are also other interesting points that show what we
are getting is
significantly worse that what they are recommending for "pilot" use.

Actually, I was looking for the main report, but it turns out they won't
or can't make
it available electronically (because they are charging 25 sterling for it)

Thanks
Michael