[E-voting] Letter today's Irish Examiner

Ruairi Roddy (TCH) ruairi.roddy at tch.ie
Thu Mar 11 10:34:40 GMT 2004

There's a letter in today's Irish Examiner.

Best,
ruairi

----------------------

http://www.irishexaminer.com/pport/web/opinion/Full_Story/did-sg6Wr1jNyB
kD2sgdL11Zs5FWAE.asp

11/03/04
Will the machines deliver a landslide?

WHY are Bertie and his gang getting so worked up over accusations of
dishonesty, or worse? Haven't they been accused of that for years and it
hasn't knocked a feather out of them?

Still, the vote goes to the root of democracy and without complete
transparency in the new electronic system, we could be in for a shock in
a few years if it was discovered that, after all, there was a secret,
embedded programme which gave the result Fáilers 1, Others 0 regardless
of which buttons the voter pressed.

Easily done when the programme access code is known only to a carefully
selected few. What might Bertie's reaction be to such a revelation?

"I didn't know about it personally, so it does not count" or "it's a
minor technical detail I had no control over because votin' has to be
secret" or "dat was din, and dis is now: we'll deal wit it goin
forward".

It worries me that Bertie stumbled last week over the term 'good
governance'. He is learning a lot from George W Bush, and weren't there
allegations of cooked books in Florida four years ago? Let's hope that
it's not books that are cooked in June, but Bertie's goose.

Kevin T Finn,
King's Square,
Mitchelstown,
Co Cork.

----------------------

Ruairí Roddy
Chief Technology Officer
Thomas Crosbie Holdings
http://www.tch.ie
DDI : +353 21 2304009

This e-mail is CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient you should
not read, copy, distribute, disclose or otherwise use the information contained in
this e-mail. Please also telephone or fax us immediately and delete the message
from your system. E-mail may be susceptible to data corruption, interception and
unauthorised amendment, and we do not accept liability for any such corruption,
interception or amendment or for the consequences thereof.