[E-voting] John Lambe's application

Patrick O'Beirne mail2 at sysmod.com
Thu Mar 11 12:06:28 GMT 2004

At 11:39 11/03/2004, Michael McGrath wrote:
>The application that records a "Yes" vote as a "No" vote and vice versa
>demonstrates the possible flaws in the proposed system.

Ummm, all it shows to me are two programs working as specified. It may
surprise the completely naive, but so does the three-cup trick and in my
opinion a submission based on such a simple demonstration would allow for
an easy rebuttal (based on code review and test) and lose focus from the
single issue of auditability.

I can think of less obvious failure modes to put into the code, but even
that is not the point. Even if the design is verified and each machine is
individually tested to the level of the largest possible poll it can
handle, there is still the problem of undetected operational failures.

  Patrick O'Beirne,     Systems Modelling Ltd.
  Gorey, Co. Wexford, Ireland. +353 55 22294
  www.sysmod.com  I.S. management consulting
.