[E-voting] Commission on Electronic Voting

Catherine Ansbro cansbro at eircom.net
Thu Mar 11 12:19:00 GMT 2004

Great list, Colm.

Possible additions:

1.Also include (at the beginning or the end) an explicit statement that we
would support an e-voting system that addresses these concerns.

and under the Accuracy section:
2. Also include a list of URLs to document past history of actual problems
that are relevant to the proposed Irish system (e.g., bit-flipping)
3. Suggest the need for a full-scale end-to-end risk assessment along the
lines of that recently undertaken by U. of Maryland.  (This could show
where there are potential accuracy problems.)
4. Perhaps also suggest the need for publicly identifying (in an
unambiguous way) who will be financially accountable for any problems that
result in increased costs to the government due to malfunction, lawsuits,
etc. (e.g., will Irish taxpayers have to pay the price if elections are
messed up and results are invalid, or if there are legal challenges
following suspected inaccuracies?  This could fit in the accuracy
remit--i.e., implications of actual or suspected inaccuracies.)

Catherine