[E-voting] Commission on Electronic Voting

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Thu Mar 11 12:39:40 GMT 2004

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 12:19:00PM +0000, Catherine Ansbro wrote:
> Great list, Colm.
>
> Possible additions:
>
> 1.Also include (at the beginning or the end) an explicit statement that we
> would support an e-voting system that addresses these concerns.

No problem, I currently have such a statement in my third paragraph,
just forgot to list it as a point :)

> and under the Accuracy section:
> 2. Also include a list of URLs to document past history of actual problems
> that are relevant to the proposed Irish system (e.g., bit-flipping)

I'm not sure if URL's are appropriate, as the submission will be on
paper and many of the commision are non-technical. But I think we can
certainly include references, citations and put in additional material
as normal :)

> 3. Suggest the need for a full-scale end-to-end risk assessment along the
> lines of that recently undertaken by U. of Maryland.  (This could show
> where there are potential accuracy problems.)

Maybe we should havea a suggestions/recommendations section? I'm not
sure if it's appropriate, after all the commision are seeking
submissions - not recommendations - ahh, it's probably appropriate
actually.

> 4. Perhaps also suggest the need for publicly identifying (in an
> unambiguous way) who will be financially accountable for any problems that
> result in increased costs to the government due to malfunction, lawsuits,
> etc. (e.g., will Irish taxpayers have to pay the price if elections are
> messed up and results are invalid, or if there are legal challenges
> following suspected inaccuracies?  This could fit in the accuracy
> remit--i.e., implications of actual or suspected inaccuracies.)

Personally I think raising cost as an issue is a bad idea, and I'm not
sure that liability issues fall within the remit of the commision. If
the commision is to be independent enough to recommend abondoning it
for an election, then it probably shouldnt be worrying about liability
:)

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp at stdlib.net