[E-voting] Our friend Derek Mooney

Margaret McGaley Margaret.McGaley at redbrick.dcu.ie
Thu Mar 11 15:24:20 GMT 2004

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 02:10:33PM +0000, Margaret McGaley wrote:

>I want to see a response from ICTE in each of the papers in
> which his letter was printed. I'm going to draft one now.

***
                                                 Margaret McGaley
                           Irish Citizens for Trustworthy Evoting
                                                  7 Rochford Walk
                                                          Kilcock
                                                      Co. Kildare
                                                      087 7554023

Sir,

I am writing in response to Mr Derek Mooney's letter of March 8th. I am the
spokesperson for Irish Citizens for Trustworthy Evoting (ICTE), the group which
Mr Mooney claims are "seeking to thwart the legitimate decisions of an elected
Government" by "misrepresenting the truth". He also claims that we have a
"Luddite mentality".

In fact ICTE was set up in May 2003 to highlight the very real dangers posed by
the electronic voting system to be used nationwide this June. We have no
political or mischieveous motives. Our position has always been that while
electronic voting can offer certain advantages, paperless electronic voting
cannot be trusted by the electorate, a position which is endorsed by the Irish
Computer Society (the professional body for Irish computer professionals) and
the ACM (the international professional body for computer professionals). If
any of your readers would like more information about our concerns, they might
like to visit our website at http://evoting.cs.may.ie

In direct answer to Mr Mooney's questions:

ICTE did not comment at the time of the last pilot in which these machines were
used, or when the idea was first signalled, because it did not yet exist. That
said, several of our members raised concerns about the issue at the time and
were attempting to gather as much information as possible about the system so
that they could make informed comment on it.

Mr Mooney is welcome to join ICTE, as are all your readers. All our discussion
and decision-making takes place on our open e-mail list, which you can join by
going to

http://evoting.cs.may.ie/discussion.shtml

Margaret McGaley
Irish Citizens for Trustworthy Evoting