[E-voting] Headlines From Unison.ie

Patrick O'Beirne mail2 at sysmod.com
Thu Mar 11 18:28:51 GMT 2004

At 16:47 11/03/2004, mmcgaley at cs.may.ie wrote:
>Time-wasting technophobes holding us up

Don't be too sensitive on this - he is after all referring to those talking
about spoiling votes, and politicians jumping on the technical criticism
bandwagon.
He's not referring to ICTE at all, and it is true that technophobes will
use this excuse too.

"undignified debate is creating the perception in the public mind that
technology cannot be trusted." simply means than dignified debate is needed
which means that those who advocate how technology CAN be trusted should
find a supporter in Jim Power.

I suppose people should recognise that the name ICTE is FOR trustworthy
e-voting, rather than against e-voting.

The reference to China is strictly on economic terms, which is just as
well. I'm sure Jim would not go as far as proposing their standards of
governance as ones we should follow.  It is those standards that make
groups like ICTE insist that if we do something it should be done properly
and not in a way that those who have been there before us are now trying to
patch up. Send him that CNN link about the US retrofitting paper trails.

  Patrick O'Beirne,     Systems Modelling Ltd.
  Gorey, Co. Wexford, Ireland. +353 55 22294
  www.sysmod.com  I.S. management consulting
.