[E-voting] Campaign slogan

Adrian Colley aecolley at spamcop.net
Thu Mar 11 19:02:12 GMT 2004

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 11:12:53AM -0000, Casey, Dermot (GE Consumer Finance) wrote:
> I'd keep it as close to the original as possible
>
> "Democracy must not only be done, but seen to be done"
>
> One of the key things about the vvat is that people see their
> vote in a form they can trust... you can't see the internal workings
> of the machine

That McMahon v. Attorney General case had an interesting quote:

> Under such a system the fear of disclosure which secrecy is designed
> to drive away is ostentatiously retained. Constitutional rights are
> declared not alone because of bitter memories of the past but no
> less because of the improbable, but not to be overlooked, perils
> of the future.

which naturally leads to "Under such a system the fear of electoral
fraud which transparency is designed to drive away is ostentatiously
retained."

Just a thought,

 --Adrian.

--
GPG 0x43D3AD19 17D2 CA6E A18E 1177 A361  C14C 29DB BA4B 43D3 AD19
http://user-aecolley.jini.org/