[E-voting] Submissions to the Commission

Margaret McGaley Margaret.McGaley at redbrick.dcu.ie
Fri Mar 12 11:09:07 GMT 2004

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 11:17:53PM +0000, Stan Nangle wrote:
> The Commission will announce how many submissions they received, and it is critical that
> the number be in the thousands, not in the dozens.

I disagree. The commission have a very short time to process all the
submissions they get, and the more they get the less time each will recieve.
I'd be more inclined to say that Colm and Adrian's submissions should both be
made individually, and that ICTE should make a submission focussing
exclusively on VVAT (perhaps with a brief mention of other concerns, but
noting that other submissions will be made by individuals). I presume Joe
McCarthy is going to make a submission too.

It would be much more valuable to have one fairly short deeply considered
submission from ICTE, and ten submissions from ICTE members (perhaps they
could mention the ICTE submission and endorse it) than to flood the commission
with thousands of similar submissions.

> It may also prove useful to set up a server to hold copies of the individual submissions -
>  for those who want to make their's public. This could be done using ICTE resources, or
> separately, as appropriate. The benefit is that it would allow journalists and other
> interested parties to review the submissions and comment knowledgably on the material the
> Commission used in reaching its decision.

The commission will be making all the submissions it receives public.

Margaret

--
Margaret McGaley
Margaret.McGaley at redbrick.dcu.ie