[E-voting] Irish Times today - Friday 3/12/2004

Fergal Daly fergal at esatclear.ie
Fri Mar 12 12:22:38 GMT 2004

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 04:02:01AM -0800, John Lambe wrote:
> There isn't anything very important.
>
> There was one letter on electronic voting.
> It's not really relevant and somewhat nonsensical (for eaxmple, the
> author seems to think that you cannot have multiple preferences with a
> non-electronic voting system and doesn't seem to understand PR-STV).
> The author is in favour of some sort of audit.

I think he's not talking about PR-STV at all. He's talking about presenting
a piece of legislation with various ammendments and letting people vote on
the whole thing. Perhaps by ranking various outcomes. You then (hopefully)
end up with the most acceptable legislation and ammendments.

It's supposed to be a remedy to the situation we have now where governments
are formed so that they can get 51% of the vote, this coalition then runs
the country for 5 years and everyone else may as well go home. A system like
he describes would allow a new configuration of coalitions to be formed for
every vote.

The complex algorithm for choosing the "right" result based on the votes is
made practical by computers. It's an interesting idea but as you say, it's
not really relevant,