Referendum (was [E-voting] Irish Times today - Friday 3/12/2004)

Ciaran Mac Lochlainn ciaran17 at eircom.net
Fri Mar 12 13:29:59 GMT 2004

John Lambe wrote:

> Article: "Fears voiced over 'race card' in elections"
>
> Referring to Terry Leyden (FF) speaking about holding the referendum on
> citizenship rights on the same day as the elections:
> "He said further confusion would be caused in terms of electronic
> voting."

The referendum is a big spanner in the works - I wonder if the
referendum will be done on paper, or will more machines be needed?  If
machines are going to be used, will the software need to be modified?

There's a possibility the referendum is the exuse they need to get out
of using the system in June without the embarrasment of a U-turn.  There
was no mention of a referendum on citizenship a month or two ago, Bertie
ruled it out in fact.

--
If you put tomfoolery into a computer, nothing comes out
but tomfoolery.  But this tomfoolery, having passed through