[E-voting] Submissions to the Commission

Dr J Pelan J.Pelan at gatsby.ucl.ac.uk
Fri Mar 12 13:34:18 GMT 2004

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
> I think if a submission is made focusing exclusively on VVAT, it will be
> disregarded. The commission are looking for submissions on

IMHO, I didn't think Margaret was suggesting that the focus be so
exclusive as to remove VVAT from the context of the commission's remit.

[snip]
> It's a very subtle difference, but it's the kind that the terms of
> reference seem designed to draw out.

Again IMHO, the difference lies in the presentation rather than at the
core of the VVAT argument. There doesn't seem to be any real disagreement.

As for individual submissions, no one can veto what any citizen decides to
do but I would suggest that Margaret's point about flooding is valid.
Neither the ICTE nor list-members should be seen to have organised a
'denial of service' attack.

Along the same vein, to avoid accusations of ballot stuffing the
commission, I would suggest people should really opt to back the ICTE's
submission or back another one, be it from an individual or a group.

To that end, the ICTE submission should be completed ASAP so those
that want to can sign-up or seek a slightly alternative cause.

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Colm MacCarthaigh also wrote:
> Which is not in the terms of reference, and contains an implicit
> falsehood.  The system chosen for use in June is not the same as the
> system used in 2002.  They differ in many respects, not least the
> counting software and capacity to perform multiple polls.

Well spotted. Launch a missive about this by all means.

--
John P.