[E-voting] Submissions to the Commission

Colm MacCarthaigh colm at stdlib.net
Fri Mar 12 14:59:30 GMT 2004

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 01:34:18PM +0000, Dr J Pelan wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
> > I think if a submission is made focusing exclusively on VVAT, it will be
> > disregarded. The commission are looking for submissions on
>
> IMHO, I didn't think Margaret was suggesting that the focus be so
> exclusive as to remove VVAT from the context of the commission's remit.

Oh I don't think she was either, I'm just saying what kind of spin
we need to put on it :) The fact is the lack os a VVAT is a critical
flaw of design, and not only makes the system less accurate but
makes the accuracy unascertainable.

> [snip]
> > It's a very subtle difference, but it's the kind that the terms of
> > reference seem designed to draw out.
>
> Again IMHO, the difference lies in the presentation rather than at the
> core of the VVAT argument. There doesn't seem to be any real disagreement.
>
> As for individual submissions, no one can veto what any citizen decides to
> do but I would suggest that Margaret's point about flooding is valid.
> Neither the ICTE nor list-members should be seen to have organised a
> 'denial of service' attack.

Indeed, I'm not sure if I want to make an individual submission to be
totally honest, but we'll see how it pans out :) I think if anyone here
has a good, informed commentary that could do with being stated well ...
then go for it, even if it's slight duplicatory, but I don't think doing
so for the sake of it is worthwhile :)

> Along the same vein, to avoid accusations of ballot stuffing the
> commission, I would suggest people should really opt to back the ICTE's
> submission or back another one, be it from an individual or a group.
>
> To that end, the ICTE submission should be completed ASAP so those
> that want to can sign-up or seek a slightly alternative cause.

Agreed, I'm going to try and get more written today and tomorrow
anyway, and I think the more writings we have from people the more
we can get together aswell :)

Colm MacCárthaigh                        Public Key: colm+pgp at stdlib.net