[E-voting] Re: Evoting Survey Questions

David GLAUDE dglaude at gmx.net
Sat Mar 13 04:08:26 GMT 2004

Margaret McGaley wrote:

>>Which of the following voting systems would you prefer to see used in
>>Ireland?
>>- Our existing paper-based system;
>>- The Nedap/PowerVote system proposed by the government;
>>- An electronic system with a voter-verified audit trail.
>
> If multiple choice questions are allowed, that would be a good one.

If multiple choice are allowed, then the set of option should be better:

Wich of the following voting (casting & counting) methode would you
prefer to see used in Ireland?
A) Manualy casted and manualy counted (like our existing paper-based system)
B) Computer casted and electronic vote counted (like The Nedap/PowerVote
system proposed by the government)
C) Computer casted with a voter-verified audit trail and computer
counted with partial manual recount (like ICTE, ... recommend)
D) Manualy casted (on paper) and computer counted (scanning system, no
change for the citizen but fast counting with possible manual recount)
E) Computer assisted casting on paper and manual counting (avoid spoil
vote and traditional counting)
F) Computer assisted casting on paper and computer counting (avoid spoil
vote and fast counting with possible manual recount)

A) Human->Paper=>Human (Traditional system)
B) Human->Computer=>Computer
C) Human->Computer=>Computer
                   ->Paper=>Human (VVAT verification path)
D) Human->Paper=>Computer (option to verify with =>Human)
E) Human->Computer->Paper=>Human (Computer assisted voting)
F) Human->Computer->Paper=>Computer (option to verify with =>Human)

I don't know if it will be clear to the general public... but it is
clear to me. As for my STV on this:

I may have missed some of the option however.

Also please note that option E can offer a Computer verification of a
Human fraud attempt durring the counting.

David GLAUDE

--
Don't let computer expert control election...
Endorse: http://www.free-project.org/resolution/