[E-voting] Terms of Reference ("TOR")

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Mar 13 12:36:19 GMT 2004

On Saturday 13 March 2004 10:05, Fergus O'Rourke wrote:
> I have a very bad feeling about the Commission's TOR.
>
> ISTM that they were drawn carefully to enable the secretariat to exclude
> the vast majority of submissions.

I agree.
This (the Terms of  Reference) is basically a political issue,
They could be widened if the opposition parties pressed the point.

> To me, the lack of VVAT is not really an accuracy or secrecy issue.
> Submissions which fail to link to those issues will *not even be seen* by
> the members of the commission. Adrian Colley's draft, useful though it is
> for
> other purposes, is in this category IMO.

I'm not sure about that.
It seems to me that "accuracy" implies some way of checking the accuracy.
One could say,
"This voltmeter is accurate because I've made it very carefully."
But I don't think that would convince most people;
they would ask if the meter had been checked against a known voltage.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366