[E-voting] Re: Re: Irish Times today - Friday 3/12/2004 - about preferendums and e-voting

David GLAUDE dglaude at gmx.net
Sun Mar 14 10:59:08 GMT 2004

You would be amazed by the number of Parliament, Senate, Commission that
use electronic voting internaly.

Some vote are secret (or closed to public review when on personal matter).

In European Parliament plenary session, most vote are done raising the
hand... when the result is too close then an electronic recount is asked
(they vote again but with the card this time).

The list of who voted what is only advertised when there is a 'roll
call'(?). Here is what "we" have been able to produce with that
information for IP right enforcement and Software Patent directive:
http://www.softwarepatenten.be/rapport.html

The question are:
* Why are not all the vote done with a list publish for public review?
* Why is there not direct feedback of your vote (as an MEP) and those of
everybody else so that you can review it (In belgiuw I think the Senate
has that, a display with every seat numbered that can be Red, Green of
White depending on the vote. Every representative can watch each other
vote, ...

I don't know how you vote in your chambers of representatives... but you
may want to have a look.

--
Don't let computer expert control election...
Endorse: http://www.free-project.org/resolution/