[E-voting] Terms of Reference ("TOR")

Dr J Pelan J.Pelan at gatsby.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Mar 15 00:08:48 GMT 2004

We can state that the system cannot be said to be accurate because of the
lack of voter verification and the lack of a paper audit trail. These are
two quasi-independent, serious weaknesses of the system.

1) No voter verification means no accuracy

  Only the voter can determine if the vote has been recorded accurately.
  One cannot force a voter to trust an intermediary for verification.

2) No paper audit trail means no accuracy

  How can one state the system is accurate if there is no external
  means of detecting errors or fraud arising during the election process?
  We cannot expect a voting system to be 100% reliable and trustworthy
  so there must be a mechanism for detecting problems.

We need people to criticise these points.

--
John P.