Statement (Was: Re: [E-voting] Petition)

David O'Callaghan david.ocallaghan at cs.tcd.ie
Mon Mar 15 10:20:52 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 10:08, Fergus O'Rourke wrote:
> 1. Surely this is a misnomer ? It's a statement, not a petition.

Yes, and I've probably helped spread this incorrect title...

> 2. What's the latest on publication ?

I don't quite understand. I'll leave it up to Margaret if she wants to
publish statistics about signatories.

> 3. Is there another one to be signed by IT professionals ? If so, what stage
> is it at ?

I have received some signatures for the current statement from an IT
company. Since the ACM is a professional organisation, rather than an
exclusively academic one, I don't see any problem with using their
statement for this purpose.

It would also be nice to have a statement more suitable for the general
public, but it must be carefully worded so that the government can't
dismiss it as irrelevant.

David