[E-voting] CEV submission -- draft

Michael McMahon michael at hexmedia.com
Mon Mar 15 11:35:06 GMT 2004

Michael McMahon wrote:

>>>  Apparently 80% of all ballots are unique.
>>

>> I doubt this is true.I checked the 2002 raw data
>> from Dublin North and there were only 3214 unique votes
>> out of a total of 43942 (which is 7.3%) with 12 candidates.
>>
>> Do this on any Unix system
>>
>> tail  +2 votes.txt  | sed -e 's/"[0-9]*";//' | sort | uniq -d | wc -l
>

> oops! I got that wrong. You need to omit the -d from the uniq command
>
> The real result was 19299 out of 43942 (which is 43% )

The figures for Dublin West and Meath were 34.5% and 39% respectively,
but it would do no harm for someone else to check this.
Shows how easy it is to make mistakes with a computer :(

One other interesting stat about Dublin North.

The six most common votes were the six different permutations
of an FF 1.2.3 with no other preferences expressed.
These six different votes accounted for 3266 voters or 7% the total.