[E-voting] CEV submission -- draft

Adrian Colley aecolley at spamcop.net
Mon Mar 15 15:33:59 GMT 2004

Here's a unified diff for the changes I'm asking for today.  Most of
them fix my own blunders in creating the draft.  In the order in which
they appear, they are:

1. Table of contents added.
2. Reference to Rebecca Mercuri corrected; in 1992 she was at UPenn, not
   Bryn Mawr.
3. The missing word was "contents".  Catherine and John share the prize.
4. ERBS should be ERS.
5. ERS' estimate of a counting error is between 1 in 1,000 and 1 in
   10,000.
6. It was the Mars Climate Orbiter, not the Polar Lander.
7. It's the "1983 A. M. Turing Award", not the "1980 Turing Award".
8. Capital Ts in "Reflections on Trusting Trust".
9. The Article 26 section is renamed "Security is essential to
   accuracy", deleting "evaluation of".

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 03:04:47PM +0000, Catherine Ansbro wrote:
> p. 1 & 2, section 2.1 "Discussion" should also include mention of hardware
> malfunction.  In particular, bit-flipping should be explained and mention
> made of a known example of this occurring in an actual election.  Other
> examples of specific, known kinds of hardware failures should also be
> given.  We should not base our argument solely on the risk of
> hackers.  This should be restated in the final paragraph of section 2.1.

I would have included a mention of this if I hadn't forgotten about it.

> p. 5 (bottom) Explain simply the difference between machine code and
> software code.  (Footnote perhaps.)  Mention that the implications of not
> having examined the machine code follow in section 3.5)  (The later
> footnote 11 mentions the difference between source code and machine code,
> but the difference between machine code and software code is not mentioned.)

I don't know what you mean by "software code".

I'm generally agreeable to Catherine's other changes.

 --Adrian.

--
GPG 0x43D3AD19 17D2 CA6E A18E 1177 A361  C14C 29DB BA4B 43D3 AD19
http://user-aecolley.jini.org/