Statement (Was: Re: [E-voting] Petition)

Margaret McGaley Margaret.McGaley at redbrick.dcu.ie
Mon Mar 15 15:48:15 GMT 2004

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 10:20:52AM +0000, David O'Callaghan wrote:
> > 2. What's the latest on publication ?
>
> I don't quite understand. I'll leave it up to Margaret if she wants to
> publish statistics about signatories.

I'd love to see a running total of academic signatories and non-academic
signatories. Once we're happy that we've gotten about as much coverage of
third-level institutions as we're going to get, we should make a press release
about the number of signatures we've collected, and the number of institutions
covered, including a note about non-academic signatures.

> > 3. Is there another one to be signed by IT professionals ? If so, what stage
> > is it at ?
>
> I have received some signatures for the current statement from an IT
> company. Since the ACM is a professional organisation, rather than an
> exclusively academic one, I don't see any problem with using their
> statement for this purpose.

Absolutely, this statement is fine for both. It is good to keep the on
separate pieces of paper though.

> It would also be nice to have a statement more suitable for the general
> public, but it must be carefully worded so that the government can't
> dismiss it as irrelevant.

Indeed. Anyone want to suggest some wording?

Margaret

--
Margaret McGaley
Margaret.McGaley at redbrick.dcu.ie