[E-voting] testing and trustworthiness

Chris Meudec MEUDECC at ITCARLOW.IE
Mon Mar 15 16:59:30 GMT 2004

Hi,
has anybody from the Software Quality Research Laboratory
(www.sqrl.ul.ie) ever contributed to this discussion? A statement from
Prof Parnas, if it could be obtained, would be worth a lot.

Anyway in relation to testing a document that may help non techies is :
http://www.sqrl.ul.ie/Downloads/Lecture6.pdf

especially slide 16 where it is stated :

In most cases it is impractical to use testing to demonstrate
trustworthiness.

Slide 12 is also useful

Finally how is one to interpret the term accuracy in relation to the submission
to the commision on evoting. To me accuracy encompasses reliability but is
more than this since it also includes accurate specification of the system. But
accuracy does not include correctness.

Correctness = 100% accuracy at all times?

Am I right to conclude that the commission accepts that the evoting system
may not be correct but will still be acceptable? Software engineers know that
correctness is not achievable via software testing.

Chris
Christophe Meudec PhD       meudecc at itcarlow.ie
CPM Department              Phone +353 (0)59 9176266
Institute of Technology     Fax +353 (0)59 9170517
Carlow, Ireland
http://glasnost.itcarlow.ie/~meudecc/