[E-voting] testing and trustworthiness

Dr J Pelan J.Pelan at gatsby.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Mar 15 19:11:08 GMT 2004

> In most cases it is impractical to use testing to demonstrate
> trustworthiness.

Agreed. I will provide a quote from Macbeth (from memory so it might be
off a little) which I often use to illustrate that this non-technical
principle has been understood for hundreds of years, if not longer;

  Oftentimes, to win us to our harm,
  the instruments of darkness tell us truths,
  win us with honest trifles,
  to betray us in deepest consequence.

The nature of the VVAT requirement is to accept the possibility of failure
and to provide an external, independent audit mechanism to detect it.
As such, trust is *never* placed in the electronic system but in the VVAT
process as a whole (i.e. electronics plus independent audit).

--
John P.