[E-voting] press release

Margaret McGaley Margaret.McGaley at redbrick.dcu.ie
Tue Mar 16 11:29:52 GMT 2004

Minister Cullen has sent (through his private secretary) a refusal to meet
with me. I'm working on a press release for it, but I have to go AFK for an
hour.

Here's the first draft. As always, comments please:

***
[MINISTER CULLEN REFUSES TO MEET CONCERNED CITIZENS RE EVOTING]

Minister Cullen has refused to meet with representatives of Irish Citizens for
Trustworthy Evoting (ICTE), citing a heavy schedule. This comes in the wake of
a recent poll which showed the majority of Irish voters want the introduction
of electronic voting postponed until the system is modified to include a paper
trail.

"I'm disappointed that the Minister has refused to meet with me. He's a busy
man, but this is such an important issue. It would be very serious indeed if
such a fundamental change to our electoral system was brought in against the
will of the people", said Margaret McGaley, spokesperson for ICTE.

In December of 2003, Mr Niall Callan, the Secretary General of the Department
of the Environment, committed to "continue dialogue" with those interested in
gaining a assurances about the system. In fact, no such dialogue has been
entered into.

ICTE are currently preparing a submission for the Commission on Electronic
Voting.
***

Margaret

--